The Walter Gorra Quintet makes its debut at Nocturne, playing Walter’s newest original compositions and arrangements, the quintet features Gonzalo Teppa on bass and Alejandro Castaño on drums along with world class horn players John Gunther on woodwinds and Gabe Mervine on trumpet round out the group. These long-time friends and Colorado musical accomplices draw from their backgrounds in various styles of music to develop an exciting sound. From a modern Afro-Cuban Danzon composition to a well-loved jazz standard played their way, the group features a diverse and fresh library of music. The quintet will delight audiences while respecting the tradition and history of jazz and making its own contributions to the trajectory of the music.
Walter Gorra is a Colorado-raised pianist, composer, educator and structural engineer. Studying at the University of Colorado at Boulder, Walter earned degrees in jazz piano performance and structural engineering and had the good fortune to study and work with Art Lande, Jeff Jenkins, Victor Mestas and many other notable Colorado musicians. Earning his master’s degree at William Paterson University in New Jersey, Walter had the opportunity to study and work with Jim McNeely, Cecil Bridgewater, Harold Mabern and Bill Charlap among others. During his time in New York, Walter also performed and/or wrote and arranged music for Paquito D’Rivera, Ingrid Jensen, and Pete McGuinness and others. Walter has performed at jazz festivals and clubs throughout North and Central America and won Downbeat and ASCAP Herb Alpert awards for his compositions.
Saturday Show Times:
Set One: 6:30 - 7:45pm
Set Two: 9:00 - 10:30pm
Important Notes and Reservation Information:
- Due to high demand, we encourage guests to book well in advance on Friday and Saturday evenings
- Floor seats are reserved for Dinner and a Show Reservations (Music and Three Course Included)
- Reserved Bar Seats are $29 per guest and include music. Bar guests can order from our entire dinner menu as well as our wine & cocktail list.
- If availability permits, we do allow walk-in guests. Walk-in guests will have a charge of $30 per person applied to their check on Saturday nights.
- We respectfully request that guests limit their visits to one set only at this time